Wednesday, July 30, 2008

Flowers, Flowers Everywhere

When I shop at farmers' markets I'm focused on the task at hand. I'm on the hunt for the freshest and finest produce in the market. I'm thinking about what I'm going to cook that night. I have my list. If I bump into a friend I'll talk for a minute or two, but mostly when I'm at the market I'm there to 'take care of business'.

For my wife, Michelle, the market is a very different experience. The visuals of the market are almost as important to her as what we buy to eat. While I'm comparing the price and quality of heirloom tomatoes, Michelle looks at the flowers. She knows well that the farmers' market is the best source of affordable freshly cut flowers.

On Sunday we have our routine: we walk counter-clockwise around the Palisades market so she can look at the wild roses, the day-glo dahlias, the bright yellow sunflowers, and when they're in season the delicate sweet peas and fragrant lilacs.

This past Sunday Michelle was out of town. Because I missed her, I took the time to look at the flowers. They really are as colorful and vital as she says. Next Sunday she'll be home and we can take our counter-clockwise tour of the market as always. I expect that I'll take a break from my shopping to enjoy the flowers with her.

2 comments:

  1. One of the small secret pleasures I've taken from reading this blog through an RSS reader is watching the small edits and improvements that can occur through the day -- the small additions and added delights.

    Today, however, the first version left me to pause ending on such an unexpected and beautiful note. I miss it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I appreciate the advice. You were definitely correct. Hope you like the rewrite.

    ReplyDelete